Skip to main content

UPDATE! Inside the business of leisure and entertainment

BREAKING NEWS!! Doing some supersleuthing and using our incredible powers to sniff out a fraud, we found a couple of links buried within pages and pages of "press releases" on Business Trends TV that expose them as the hucksters they are.

From the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/16/us/16pitch.html?_r=1

Here's Gio's original post detailing his encounter with these charlatans.

I just received a phone call from Alex Berry of
Business Trends a production company wanting to feature me and my company in a nationally broadcasted/televised story dealing with the "behind the scene" of the business of leisure and entertainment.

"WOW" I thought! We finally made the big time in national publicity and a production crew wants to air our story! What a great way to promote our products. The producer Alex Berry, proceeds to tell me how interesting and exciting our
blacklight mini golf courses and Amusement Park and family fun center theme services are. Now I'm getting really jazzed as I'm thinking of the possibilities this show could have for our shop. Certainly every little bit of advertising helps. Mr. Berry wants to know what Americans are doing with their leisure time in this down economy and he wants me to tell my side of the story, and if I would be available for the "crew" to fly in!

Mr Berry asks me some questions about what we do and I answer. Of course I want to impress him and tell him that I had started the business in my parents' basement (which is true). "Sounds exciting!" Yes, but then he tells me that he is in the final selection phase of his interview process and who's story they will ultimately pick.

This quickly raises a red flag. It certainly seems like a pressure sales technique. You know, "Limited time only! This offer is good for this one time only" etc etc. But let me not jump so fast. Give the guy a chance. After all, I may be able to showcase our talents on prime time! What was that? Oprah wants to host a party and have one of our miniature golf courses as a fun event item? NO PROBLEM!

As Mr. Berry continues to ask questions, I become all the more suspicious when he tells me I have to meet some criteria. That's when I said to myself, "No, this isn't what it was sounding like. Not the opportunity that we want it to be. Oprah is not calling me today".

I have been interviewed on TV programs before (TV news clips, trade journals and newspaper stories) and none of them have ever sounded like this call. His questions about me and my industry seemed to be more like statements to me instead of wanting to hear what I had to say. (Maybe he already knew all this?) He then comments that before we proceed with his selecting our company for this great opportunity to be viewed nationally, I would need to agree and commit to the following:

1) Full cooperation with his staff, review and approve the scripts and video. (Why would I be the editor and post production to their story?)

2) $22,900.00 scheduling fee + $3,000.00 ($25,000.00) since they would be shooting outside Florida.

3) Timing: they would need to have an approval on the costs no later than April 2nd so that they could guarantee their show's marketplace with the networks.

OK, so here it is: While I am aware that Mr. Alex Berry has a product or brand that he is selling, is it right for him to call and present himself as a "TV" producer of a national show?

If it were Oprah's producer, or the Late Show's producer, or Ellen's or even Night Line, would I ask my guests to shell out $22,000.00 for their interview? I don't think so.

I am taking the stand that this is not the correct avenue for me to tell my business story. What a bummer. I certainly do believe that I am living the American dream and I don't mind sharing the story.

I started a business in my parents' basement with literally nothing but a piece of scrap foam and sold it to a local bar as decoration. You did WHAT? It's true. I would stay up all night to complete a project and still do. Sometimes 72 hours straight to complete a project. When you do what you love, time is not an issue. It does fly. I was once hired to sculpt a 20' tall moon man for MTV and finished it myself in 120 hours with no sleep (photo coincidentally posted below).

I thought, I could certainly do some direct marketing "damage" that would boost my sales considerably with $25,000.00. I don't think this blog entry would confuse anyone reading as to what my opinion is about this "opportunity".

Today's question: Is this "pitch" the morally correct thing to do to people/companies that may not clearly understand what it is that this guy is selling (and in this economy no less)?

I believe it was Gary Vaynerchuk that coined the phrase "legacy over currency".

I am curious to know your thoughts and opinions...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2011 PREVIEW

One of our latest projects: Our Victoria's Secret PINK dog mirror balls make their appearance in this youtube video at 4:19 in. We made a total of 8 dogs at 3ft long each. We then scored the internet for pink glass tile suppliers and cleaned up everything out there. Yes folks, there are NO MORE pink glass tiles available. This was a great and challenging project to say the least, as there were the usual delays that happen when you take on not only a custom project, but a prestigious one as well. Everything had to be spot on to Victoria's Secret Pink Brand. The usual multitude of emails, texts and conference calls between our shop, the local production studio and the VS France office took place. Once we were off and running with our sculptures, we needed to find the pink glass mirror tiles and as mentioned above, there were not many out there and all needed to be special ordered and cut to our specifications. Those tiles then needed to be overnighted, or we would not b

YAY!!! Our Jaws Shark Prop was revealed for Harper's Bazaar!!

Making this prop was super fun, especially after Joe's viral Shark Baby Bed. It's been Shark Week all winter long for us! It's never too cold to swim with the fish, regardless of their size.   Killer Fashion with Killer Props!! duunnn dunnn... duuuunnnn duun... duuunnnnnnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn dunnnn Articles all over are popping up with the full pictures and videos of Rihanna swimming with many other sharks, that are a bit more real then our life-sized prop! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2940506/Rihanna-swims-sharks-sneak-peek-Harper-s-Bazaar-cover-photo-shoot.html http://www.mtv.com/news/2069188/rihanna-harpers-bazaar-photos/ http://www.eonline.com/news/622142/rihanna-wears-sexy-swimsuits-swims-with-sharks-and-becomes-delicious-shark-snack-for-harper-s-bazaar-see-pics http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a9880/rihanna-interview-0315/ http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ri

Beard styles to chose from

So this is where you guys get to have some fun. Remember, the style with the most votes wins and I will hold on to that style for at least 1 month (maybe more, if I like it). But remember the rule is that you have to donate directly to Give Kids the World . They have a several easy ways for you to do so. One last thing... I am a publicly seen person in several places. I am also a member of my town's school board of education so, I WILL have to "sport" the look that gets the highest vote. To register your vote, simply make a comment on this post and the tally will be there for all to see. Now go. Go and donate whatever you can. As little or as much and don't forget to spread the word to all your social network friends! Thanks. Giovanni Calabrese This is what I used to look like before the beard! Man, I need a shave!